Wednesday, April 16, 2008

good to go

"Why, why do you do this to me, every-time, B?" Emily was in the middle of painting her nails and her sister would have to call.

"Can't you multi-task?" Bella fumed back.

"What is it this time?" Usually, she wanted her to beg her mother for money. Of course, her mother wasn't going to send Bella anything and Bella certainly wasn't going to ask. "Where are you?"

"Either Austin or Dallas, I'm not sure where I woke up this morning," Bella told her sister.

"I see." Emily seethed with envy. Her sister was off gallivanting around the country with her boyfriend and here she was still in school. "And?"

"And have you see Jane, lately?"

There was a silence. Emily didn't want to talk about that. She really didn't see her niece anymore than her sister saw her own child. A bad taste came to her mouth.

"She's fine. What do you care, anyway?" Emily snapped.

"You can't tell me anything. Nobody sends me pictures anymore." Emily heard her sister's voice ache.

"Why should we? What do you care?" Emily blew on her nails. She then caught a look at her nose in the mirror. God, it had to go, she thought. When could she get a new nose.

"Look, I have to go. I'll send you a picture over the phone when I can. If you're so worried, why don't you come home?" Emily didn't even wait for an answer. She hung up.

She stared at her cell phone then. She thought of Gordy. It made her sad to think he was alone sitting on the couch holding a baby while watching MTV. She pushed in his number.

"Yello." It sounded a bit of a yawn when Gordy answered.

"Are you up for company?" She wondered. His schedule was crazy. She rarely ever got to see him.

"I got a couple of hours to kill before I have to go to work." His voice was sincere, and she closed her eyes for a second thinking how much missed listening to him sing 'Hot child in the city' with his old guitar while Bella was pregnant with Jane.

"How about if I kill them with you?" She came back to their conversation.

"As long as it doesn't involve money or me moving from this couch," he told her.

"I think I can do that." She smiled then. It was a date. Maybe.

No comments: