Tuesday, December 23, 2008

breaking legs

Rachel was holding the envelope in her hand. She hoped it was what it was supposed to be. If there was one little glitch then she'd be pretty upset. Wouldn't she? She didn't want to be.

Yes. Yes, it was the best Christmas present ever. She'd expected it all to take longer, but the divorce was final. They really didn't have anything between them but Lucy and well, that was taken care of. They were used to the weekend visits, every other weekend. It was good. Barely, but getting better. She guessed.

She looked at the Christmas tree then. Barely a package under it. She had so put off Christmas shopping. The weather. The season of economics. It was all playing a part. She suspected as she stared into space thinking she had to get cracking. It was in just a few days.

Luckily, her Mom had taken care of Santa for Lucy. But there was Gordy to think of, and Jane too. They really had to get her something special. But what?

She'd have to clean the snow off the windows of her car. The sun was out. Finally, things were going her way. And then her cell rang. It was Andy.

"So I guess you got it," His voice sounded a little awkward as if he might be keeping something from her.

"Whats wrong?" There was no way she'd let him get to her. What was done with was over, didn't he get that.

"I'm leaving the day after Christmas and I was wondering if I could spend it with Lucy, maybe?"

"Why? Where are you going?"

"Just to boot camp. I got all the paperwork cleared up. You know, GED and everything and I can go now instead of by summer. And I just thought I should because that way Lucy can have plenty insurance."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Rachel winced. She didn't want to believe him. "Don't do this?" The army was taking him.

"I have to."

"I hope you break leg or something. You have a bad back. I know you." She warned. "We could have managed something, you know, we could. We have before." Here she was praying he didn't make it out of bootcamp. She knew she was suppose to say it was an honor, a privilege, but she didn't think that patriotic anymore. Not now. She didn't want him going to war.

"Rachel, I just want to see Lucy," Andy said. "That's all I'm asking. Can I?"

"Of course," Rachel nodded feeling so bad about everything. He could see her for the rest of week if he wanted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So bittersweet for Rachel. I'm glad she's going to let Andy have time with Lucy before he goes.

Cate said...

Yeah, I guess too she has to share Lucy with Andy. The divorce is final, that is good. And Andy doesn't seem the kind of guy who could become an 'enemy', I think.

Merry Christmas, Cait! :D