Wednesday, May 7, 2008

not the guy

This was impossible. Gordy knew it. Knew it long before Floyd ever called. He wasn't going to take Serena out. Floyd just wasn't going too. And it made him even more sad to know it was true. Serena didn't deserve this. Gordy was sure she was looking forward to seeing him again.

Floyd complained about a bug going around. "You want me to throw up on her? Is that it?" But the reservations had been made. "You go."

"What? I can't go. I've got Jane, you know. And..and this is like the first free night I've had in ages. I can't do this." Gordy was pacing now in his basement. He had nothing to wear. He was freaking out. "Now I'm gonna be sick."

"Look, I called Emily. She's coming over. She's gonna help you find something to wear. She's gonna stay with Jane. It'll be perfect. What could go wrong?" Floyd explained.

"You sound perfect right now, Floyd. You do it." Gordy insisted.

"I can't? God, it would be like taking my little sister out." Floyd admitted.

"So, what's wrong with that? A little sister needs a date with her big brother like once a year." Gordy was fretting now. He wasn't suppose to be the guy. Floyd was. He wouldn't know what to say to Serena. What if he asked about her hand or even her foot. This would be horrible. Not that he thought those things instantly when he saw her. He hardly noticed, but this was dinner and this meant conversation. Brilliant conversation, and he knew he definitely wasn't brilliant anymore.

"You can't let her down, Gordy," Floyd said. "You wouldn't let her down, and you know it."

"All right." Gordy cut him off, when he saw Emily walking down the stairs.

"I think I have some stuff you can use." She was carrying a plastic bag. "And I'm going to style your hair."

Gordy rolled his eyes. This was going to be a long night.

1 comment:

Chanel said...

thanks, cait.
and you're welcome, too.
oo, and if you're wondering i'm
the author of random infidelities which was another reason why i linked you. i'll be sure to read more of your story.