Sunday, November 23, 2008

not always that perfect

Whitney took Rachel's call. Of course, Rachel was jabbering away as if she might be getting ready for a tornado instead of Thanksgiving dinner.

"I'll bring pies," Whitney smiled. "I have this recipe for lemon squares, too. Kal told me lemon is his favorite. I'll make some. You don't have to worry about sweets. I'll help you."

"Really?" Rachel actually sounded lost. "Thank you so much."

"No, thank you," Whitney told her. "Its sweet of you to ask us."

"You think Kal will come."

"Of course, he will. He would want too." She didn't want to be wrong about this. She didn't think he'd say, no. "Even if he doesn't, I'll be there." Whitney had decided. If he made a fuss about who was there and all, then he could just stay home. They weren't bound together. Although, she knew he kept pushing little by little to want there to be more than what it was.

Actually, they'd had a bit of a tiff about it. He thought she was being too old fashioned. She knew he wanted to say bitch, but he didn't. Of course, it didn't help that she brought up his track record.

"And what about that singer you hooked up with, huh? What about her?" That was when it really got to him. He was pissed. So she was black. "Well, I'm black too." Which she knew she was testy about saying it out loud. But what if that was what this was all about? She'd almost said something horrible like, "Maybe we all look the same to you." But she hadn't. She felt bad about putting him on a guilt trip, sort of. She couldn't do everything his way. That just wasn't the way it worked, and before she knew it she was telling Rachel everything.

"Oh my God," Rachel just said. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called."

"But I'm glad you did."

"Yeah, I'm really glad I did too. But I'm sure its not over. He's crazy about you," Rachel told her.

"How do you know?"

"I can just see it," Rachel told her. "The way he looks at you. He's got this smile. I envy you, I never had that. I don't think I can. Sorry. Anyway, he'll be back. He will. You stand your ground and if he can't see that your worth it, well..we'll just have Thanksgiving without him."

Whitney felt her nose water. She didn't want to cry about this. Only it was too late for that.

4 comments:

Cate said...

Oh my.. I bet I would have cried if I was Whitney. I wouldn't have known what about though - would I have cried of happiness because Rachel told her Kal was crazy about her or would I cry with sadness at the memory of the fights with Kal? I do sincerely hope that Kal is crazy about Whitney. Nobody deserves it more than she does.

You made me laugh with your comment when you said "I'm not sure which Thanksgiving mess I liked writing about more" - and I'm not sure which I like reading about more!^^

Syed said...

Oh no poor Whitney! I wish we had something like Thanksgiving in the UK, I love preparing for those huge dinners!

Fizah said...

Hey there, I just found your blog. It could take me a while to read through the whole story, but the first few posts were interesting. Keep up your good work!

ellie said...

Hey, they could be new bbf's. Nice...and bittersweet, too.