Wednesday, April 1, 2009

hearts on fire

Charlotte was still in a daze. Really, she didn't think of anything Rosco had said about that long drive where she did all the driving. He would just have to forget about it. She would.

She found her post behind the Young Adult librarian desk. Naturally, Rachel had left her scads of things to keep her busy. Everything from getting a display ready for college information to making book markers that anime fans would want. So she drew her own kind of graphic to it. Then she'd make copies of them and have to cut them in batches.

It kept her out of trouble. And it wasn't that anyone wanted anything. She saw Parker pass by and he didn't say a word. Two hours later and still not a word from Parker.

"You're being unusually quiet." She spoke to him this time when he passed by. "Are you ill?"

"I never get sick."

Charlotte rolled her eyes at that. "Of course, you don't."

"I have a question for you," He stared at her so intently.

"Are you sure I'd have an answer for it? I thought that was your job." She looked at him wondering where this conversation might be going and didn't she know she'd just ruined a good thing? Him being quiet.

"Well, I don't know about this." He closed his eyes, and she watch his thick dark eyelashes flutter.

"All right? What is it." She put down her pen. He had her full attention.

"Do you find me attractive?"

"No. None what so ever." Charlotte said dully with out any emotion. "You're the most annoying person I've ever met."

"That's what I thought."

"See, you knew the answer to that." Charlotte sighed and went back to her gangster china girl.

"I'm thinking somebody likes me," He said so seriously.

"Oh, Parker, please." Charlotte had to giggle. He was really messed up, wasn't he? He sounded suddenly like a six year old.

"No, there's something. I just know it." He told her.

"Not with me."

"Not with you."

"What do you want me to do about it?" She knew she shouldn't have asked.

"Find out if she's interested," Parker paused then. "In me."

"In you?" Charlotte grinned.

"You know her."

"Her?" Charlotte wondered who it could be.

"You introduced us." He informed her.

Charlotte suddenly grimaced. What was he asking? Her to play cupid?

4 comments:

diane said...

I want to scream PARKER GROW UP! If he's going to play the "Mrs. Robinson" game, he's got to be a man.
God, I love reading you first thing in the morning. Happy you know what day.

ellie said...

Parker is just too wise for his own good..sometimes.

diane said...

Was the Hearts on Fire title in reference to the Absolutely Fabulous episode where Jennifer Saunders was fooling around with the much younger gardener?

Alayna Whisper said...

OH I HATE THAT! It mostly happens with girls that like my brother. lol

Hey I tagged you!