Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I don't care

It was a good thing Fall Out Boy's "I don't Care" was on the radio just as Parker was starting his car to go to work. Maybe something good would happen today if Parker kept this pace of the song up. Maybe.

He thought of how it used to be. Girls. But then he didn't really remember all that much. Usually, he had to be pretty drunk just to get up the nerve to get some action. He was a follower, now that he thought about it. That's what every guy he knew was doing. Get smashed. Get lucky. And then it wasn't something he exactly remembered. Well, not like he wanted too. And yeah, he'd had dates leave him at the restaurant. The movie. Parker never had second dates. But he just kept talking. He guessed he enjoyed listening to himself talk. Of course, he really never talked himself in to anything. Except now. Now he knew what he wanted. A woman.

So he was going to be quiet as possible. You were supposed to be quiet at the library, anyway, he reflected.

"Are you going on vacation or something soon?" The director found Parker putting his jacket away.

"Don't think so." There, he'd only said a few words. Quiet.

"You've really been doing a lot of work." The director noted.

Parker just smiled. Well, didn't he always? OK, yeah, he liked to sit and read crime stories from time to time. Especially, gangster and mob related stuff. Then there was his motorcycle phase. He'd read up on those for a bit. And the usual, political stuff. Which depressed him to think about. So he didn't. Perhaps he wasn't the hardest worker on staff, but he could be if he wanted to be.

"You're not sick are you?"

Parker just shook his head and went on his way to get started on whatever needed to be done.

"How old are you?" He heard the question, but didn't look to see who might have asked. He was sure no one was talking to him. He was looking at the order of things on a cart. Finally he got a tap on the shoulder. He almost jumped.

"My, you're jumpy." Charlotte grinned.

"No, I'm not." He shook his head, looking at her as if she'd lost it. Was she coming on to me, he thought.

"You drive, don't you?"

Parker nodded, staring back at Charlotte.

"Want to come to Omaha with Rosco and me?" Charlotte bit at her thumb nail, just then.

"Why?"

"I need someone older than Rosco in the car with me when I drive." She explained. "And it wouldn't cost you a thing. It wouldn't."

"You really need someone for this, huh?" He'd never been asked by anyone to go anywhere. This felt unusual. Like maybe she liked him. Really.

"Yeah, I just thought if you weren't doing anything, but you might have a genius meeting to go to or something." She shrugged.

"Well, I generally like to sleep late when I can." He told her.

"Really?" She looked as if she found that hard to believe. "I had no idea. You. You of all people."

She was giving him mixed signals, wasn't she? What would her boyfriend think, Parker wondered.

"Look, I'll have to meet your boyfriend first. OK?" He gave her a dead stare. He didn't want to start anything with her. He thought she knew that. Didn't she? Somebody else was obviously his goal, and Charlotte hadn't done a thing to help him with the situation.

"Sure." She smiled as if she had a surprise for him. All he'd have to do was say yes.

6 comments:

Fizah said...

Yeap. I'm way behind on this.
I haven't had the chance to catch up quite yet.

Who's Parker, by the way?

diane said...

Cait: You are a total genius! I don't know how you managed to come up with such a politically correct chapter after watching Fall Out Boy's I Don't Care. I think Parker is really nice, btw. Anyway, I am so stealing this video and posting it for motivation, so don't be surprised when you see it on my page. Luv ya babe, mwahhhh! xo

Syed said...

Ok he's bit weird to say the least lol. But then again he's kinda funny in a nice way :)

Anonymous said...

i agree with diane that was genius! and yeah i restarted the blog storyofaperson.blogspot.com


this time its a rewind so i can sort things out.

ellie said...

Nice going Stranger!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see the flashback:)