Sunday, October 4, 2009

this little light of mine

"Hey, how's it going?" Archie just smiled.

It wasn't long after Emily told him about the Fish situation that he found him near the nursery in the maternity ward.

"Oh, you know-" Fish just shrugged. "I'm afraid something bad will happen." He had his jeans shoved in his pockets. "I just don't know if I can...take it." He sighed.

"OK," he could see why Whitney had been worried. He felt bad that he hadn't noticed. "Did you have anything to eat yet?" Archie squeezed the back of Fish's shoulder while he stared at the babies in the nursery.

He shook his head, no.

"What if she loses the baby? Or if I lose her?" Tears streamed down his face. "How come I can't be strong about this?"

"You will be, when the time comes." Archie told him, giving him a hug. "Don't start doubting everything now. You gotta have hope." He thought Fish migh crumble on him right then.

"I remember when I used to not worry about anything." Fish sighed in Archie's arms. "Of course, I didn't really do anything, either. I mean, I had my little space and I did my thing down at the guitar shop and well, you know, I kept to myself. What happened to me?"

"You grew up, Fish." Archie told him. "Come on, we'll go down to the chapel, light a candle. It might make you feel better."

Archie guided him down the corrider. He knew Fish could find the faith within himself. The tough part was just letting it show.

3 comments:

diane said...

Sweet, the chapel was a good idea.

cass and cady said...

Archie's sweet.

Unknown said...

I hope she and the baby are ok. I think Archie is one of my favorites.